Food is Not Our Enemy

I saw the headline that '97% of all women will be unkind to their bodies today' and was shocked at what it claimed. Honestly? Are that many of us treating ourselves with such disrespect and in some cases down right viciousness?

As a woman who has suffered with her shared of food issues and eating disorders I can certainly account for myself, I am cruel to my body nearly ever day of my life, and this headline makes me question myself as to why?

I wouldn't treat anyone else like that and in all honestly, I wouldn't even let anyone else treat me like that, so why is it okay for me to do it to myself?

How is it that the mere act of nourishing our bodies, fueling them, caring for them, how has that become such a complicated task and how has it become such a place for us to victimize ourselves?

Please don't get me wrong, I am one of the worst violators. I don't eat, sometimes for days. I eat fried foods I know will clog my arteries and make my entire cardiovascular system have to work harder. I fuel on caffeine rather than lean proteins and expect my body to be okay with all of this.

It's insanity.

You wouldn't throw sludge in the fuel tank of you car, right? You certainly wouldn't do it and expect
it to run! Your body is an even more complex and vital machine, yet we are always pushing the limits of what it will allow.

The act of nourishing our bodies is the most basic act of self love and I truly believe that as we allow ourselves to disregard the needs of the physical body, that speaks loudly about what our core message on self worth and love is.

I know life is crazy and we're busy and feel like we have so many other more important issues and when and if our bodies break down, we'll deal with it then, but simply because your body isn't loudly screaming about the injustice you are serving it, does not mean it is happily skipping down the path with you unfailingly.

Lets change the statistic.

Lets change us.

I'm scared, I'll be honest, but I want to know what it feels like to treat my body with the love, dignity and respect it deserves... what about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive